The Albion High School Alumni Foundation Board of Directors wishes all our ACS alumni, students, faculty, staff, and friends a very Happy New Year! May 2016 bring you all peace, happiness, and many successes!
As we close out 2015, let’s take a look back on some of our accomplishments and events:
- At the 2015 Class Night, the Foundation awarded 20 scholarships to 28 students totaling $39,650
- We added FOUR new scholarships in 2015:
- The Rex and Marilyn Horton Scholarship
- The Wayne A. Burlison Memorial Scholarship
- The Glassner Family Scholarship
- The John Panek Memorial Scholarship
- We held our first annual Thank You Reception. In the inaugural year for this event, we gave the recipients of our largest scholarship and our most recently added scholarship a chance to meet and personally thank the generous donors of their scholarships (click here for details and photos). It was a huge success and we look forward to similar events in the years to come.
- We opened our new MyLocker site where Alumni Apparel and Gear are available for customization and purchase. Visit the site by clicking here!
- We highlighted the stories of several AHS alumni in our Take 5 and Where Are They Now series of blog posts. Scroll through the blog posts on this web site to read all about what some of your fellow alumni are up to!
- We presented two wonderful concerts. The proceeds of our concerts benefit the general scholarship fund.
- Celtic Celebration of Music and Dance – March 15, 2015 at the Albion First Baptist Church (click here for details and photos)
- An Albion Family Christmas Concert – December 6, 2015 at the Albion First Presbyterian Church (click here for details and photos)
- And…..we were there to support our AHS students and alumni for several events:
- Class Night
- Mt. Albion Ghost Walk
- Class Reunions
Yes, 2015 was a year to be proud of, but there’s more to come! Here is a look ahead to some of our 2016 goals:
- The Foundation is on track to award almost $50,000 worth of scholarships to the Class of 2016!!!
- We will be adding at least FOUR new scholarships to our list of those maintained and awarded by the Foundation in 2016:
- The Ronald L. Sodoma Memorial Scholarship
- The Masonic Renovation Lodge # 97 Scholarship
- Edward B. Archibald Memorial Scholarship
- The Craig Anderson Scholarship
- Some notes regarding some recent scholarships:
- Harry W. Salchak Science Scholarship – We’re almost there! We’ve raised over $46,000 toward our goal of $50,000, thanks largely to the generous support and contributions from alumni who graduated in the early 60s. This scholarship was first awarded in 2012.
- Ronald L. Sodoma Memorial Scholarship – Established in memory of our long-time Superintendent of Schools. We’ve already received over $30,000 in the first 6 months towards our goal of $50,000. This scholarship will be awarded for the first time in 2016.
- Glassner Family Scholarship – Established in memory of Jake & Dottie Glassner, this scholarship is made possible through generous gifts from the Glassner family. This scholarship was first awarded in 2015.
- Craig Anderson Scholarship – Established in memory of Craig Anderson, an outstanding high school athlete in the early 1970s. We are working with his family to permanently fund this scholarship through the Alumni Foundation.
- Agricultural Scholarships – We now have two scholarships set up by the Panek Family in conjunction with the FFA. The Panek Family Agricultural Scholarship, first awarded in 2014, and the John Panek Memorial Scholarship, first awarded in 2015.
- Masons and Rotary Scholarships – The local Masonic Lodge and Rotary Club have entrusted us with several of their scholarships and have made generous additional contributions to build those scholarships.
Join us in 2016 to help us Make a Difference for a Lifetime! Here are some ways to participate in our Foundation and web site:
- Check out the links on this web site or by clicking here to find out how you can help fund our existing and future scholarships.
- Contact us if you have a suggestion for someone that might make an interesting Take 5 or Where Are They Now blog post
- Click here if you are interested in establishing a new scholarship
- Visit our MyLocker site and wear your Purple Eagle Pride for all to see! Or – customize the apparel and gear anyway you choose – it doesn’t have to be alumni related! Every purchase results in a portion of the proceeds directly benefiting the general scholarship fund!
- Visit the web site often – we are posting new and exciting information on alumni and events all the time!
We hope to see many of you in the coming year! And, we hope 2016 proves to be a wonderful year for you all!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!