The river near the falls were first used for power by a Frenchman, Chabert Joncaire, Jr.,
about 1757-1758, who built a loop canal on the river bank a short distance above the falls.
Power probably was provided by a overshot waterwheel under a head of about 6
feet to cut logs on what was the end of Mill Street and now known as First Street, now
located on the state reservation opposite the upper end of Goat Island. This sawmill
was repaired and used by John Steadman about 1760, who settled on the bank of the river
near the falls on a large tract of land he claimed and
received under an Indian agent.
Steadman also occupied and cleared a portion of Goat Island and stocked it with
goats, thus giving the island its name.
New York State on April 5, 1789 granted a charter to the Niagara Canal Company
to construct a navigation canal beginning at or near
Steadman's landing about 2 miles above
the falls to a convenient place below the falls at
Lewiston, a distance of 7 miles. The
canal was supposed to be completed by January 1, 1809, but was never constructed.
This was the first time the state legislature became involved in the falls.
Adams 1-40
In 1795, the site came under the Porter
family. Augustus Porter visited the falls in
1795 and 1796 in a company of surveyors
to explore and survey the Western Reserve in Ohio. The Porters became large land
owners near the falls. In 1805, Augustus Porter built a sawmill and blacksmith's
shop.
In 1806, he moved his family from Canandaigua, New York, to the Steadman
house near Fort Schlosser. In 1807, he built the first grist mill at the falls with two
"run of stone" on the site of the Joncaire sawmill. In 1809, he built a rope walk and
tannery and other industries and dwellings followed. In 1822, Augustus Porter built
a large flour mill, which was later sold to Witmer Brothers. In 1823, Jesse Symonds
built a paper mill near Goat Island bridge. In 1823, the
legislature authorized a new company by the same name to build a canal and railroad
around the falls, but this again was never constructed. From 1808 to 1863, several
national projects to circumvent the falls were proposed by never adopted. It may be
inferred that building a canal for 6 miles through solid rock was too expensive to pay for
itself in canal toll revenues.
The first effort to secure capital for use of the power of the river rapids occured in 1825
when Augustus Porter and Peter Porter issued an
"invitation" to Eastern Capitalists and
Manufacturers. This was unsuccessful. The Porter Brothers between 1800
and 1850 sought to develop the falls power by making known its potential. They also
operated a portage around the rapids and falls and promoted settlement in the area.
Adams 41-50,89-90
|